STAY AT HOME, PROTECT THE NHS, SAVE LIVES!
We now have 32 volunteers in and around Tickenham who are willing to help others in the community who need assistance. We have and are currently assisting 15 residents.
TAKING CARE OF YOUR WELL-BEING DURING THE LOCKDOWN
There have been so many practical difficulties to sort out during the early days of the lockdown that it’s been easy to forget about our mental health. Here are some simple things that will help you stay balanced and calm.
- FOOD Keep to your normal routine for meals and snacks. Don’t skip meals as this will upset your blood sugar, which in turn can make you feel more anxious.
- SLEEP Keep to your normal bedtime and sleep routine. Avoid checking the news before you go to bed, it will still be there in the morning.
- EXERCISE If possible keep to your normal exercise routine. If that’s not possible, think about how you can still exercise in some way. Try to get a little out of breath each time you exercise.
- CONTACT Stay in touch with friends, family and the community. Try to have a friendly phone call or online call at least once every day. Skype, FaceTime, WhatsApp and other apps are free to use. If you’re not sure how to access them, phone one of us and we’ll try to find someone to help you.
- BE AMUSED Read, watch or listen to something that you know you find entertaining and amusing. It’s OK to laugh, in fact it’s good for you.
- OUTSIDE Spend as much time as possible outside in the fresh air. If possible enjoy the long views that we have in Tickenham. Looking into the distance relaxes your eye muscles which helps you to relax overall.
- RELAX If you feel yourself becoming anxious, make a conscious effort to relax. Sit or lie down and mentally check each part of your body for tension. Allow your breathing to become slower and calmer.
- LET GO If your worries threaten to overwhelm you, write them down. Put a tick against anything that you can do nothing about. If you can do nothing, you might as well let go of the worry.
- REMEMBER YOU CAN PHONE ONE OF THE TICKENHAM CONTACTS, THEY WILL PUT YOU IN TOUCH WITH ONE OF THE VOLUNTEERS FOR A CHAT AND SUPPORT.